Thursday, August 28, 2014

Product Review - A Tale of Two Lip Balms

Today is the day to review my Ipsy lip balms.  In my first post for the August Ipsy bag I showed you the lip balm I got with my bag.  Then a friend of mine who got a different balm in her bag sent hers to me to review as well.  So you get a treat, two lip balm reviews. :)

The first one I'm going to talk about is the one that came in my bag.  You're the Balm in Green Apple by Absolute.



This is a nice feeling lip balm, it is light, more a lip gloss actually.   It keeps my lips nicely hydrated and isn't sticky.  It also smells and tastes very nice.  It isn't something I would normally buy however for several reasons.  

The container isn't conducive to tucking into my pants pocket and taking with me.  The tin is about an inch thick and about 1.5 inches across, so it is fairly bulky.  It has a tight fit so takes two hands to open.  My last container criticism is that it is a canister, so I have to swipe my finger across it and then across my lips.  This leaves my finger sticky and germy and is unattractive to do if you are in a group situation.

Another thing I don't care for is that when I tried googling the manufacturer I couldn't find them online.  When I try a new brand of anything I like to read more about that item on the company website.  If the maker of this product has a website they keep it very well hidden.

Two more strikes against this product are that two of its ingredients are Petrolatum and Aspartame.  I am not someone who requires my makeup to be all natural and organic but there really are much better choices than petroleum byproducts and artificial sweeteners in a lip balm.  Petrolatum is a petroleum distillant which acts as a moisturizer and uv absorber and listed by EWG.org as a low to moderate hazard risk.   Aspartame is a sweetener.  Do we really need sweetened lip gloss?  If your product tastes bad enough you feel the need to sweeten it, maybe it is time to reformulate the product?  Aspartame is a known migraine trigger to many people and has no cosmetic value so why is it in there?

I give this product 3 stars.  It does its job but there are better choices out there for me.

______________

Next up is the lip balm my friend got in her Ipsy bag.  She is allergic to rosemary which is one of the ingredients in this product so sent her sample to me.

This is Jersey Shore Sun's Mongongo Nutrient Dense Anti-aging lip conditioner in Mandarin Green Orange Ginger.  No, don't worry, as far as I can tell it is not that Jersey Shore.  :)


I REALLY like this product.  It keeps my lips soft and moisturized without being sticky.  It smells and tastes good.  Best of all, none of my concerns about the previous product are concerns with this one.

The product comes in a traditional tube form so is easy to stick in a pocket and apply one handed without getting your finger all sticky. 

There are not one but two web addresses on this package.  The first one is www.jerseyshoresun.com the home page for the manufacturer of the lip balm, the second is www.tilth.org, the home page for the company that certified the product as being organic.  Yes, that's right, this one is Organic!  I realize I said earlier that I didn't insist on my products being organic but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it when they are.

The third concern I had about the previous product was about some of the ingredients.  All of the ingredients in this one are easily recognizable.  Sunflower oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, etc...  The only one I had to look up was Mongongo oil.  It comes from the seed of the Manketti tree which grows in sub-Saharan Africa.  It is used for uv protection, reduction of redness and inflammation, and it is used because of its long term stability in formulations.  The fruit and seeds have been eaten for hundreds of years by the people and animals of Africa so it is known to be very safe.

This product I give 5 stars.  I would definitely buy it again.






No comments: